In 1958, a veterinary hospital was built on the David Drive site by Dr. J.R. Brooks.
At that time, it functioned as an equine hospital for Jefferson Downs Race Track located across the street at the present site of Lafreniere Park. David Drive was a dirt road that served as the “backside” of the track.
In 1990, the clinic was purchased by Dr. Steve Slaton and has changed and grown over the years into the small animal veterinary hospital known as Pet Care Center. After many years of planning, in 2006, the decision to build a new facility was set into place. The next two years brought much planning, construction, and two new partners: Dr. Erica Brooks and Dr. Michelle Boudreaux. In the years since the David Drive location has become a full-service 24-hour Emergency Hospital. In addition, Pet Care Center has expanded by opening multiple locations throughout the Greater New Orleans area.
The first satellite clinic opened is located in the beautiful French Quarter, on the corner of Esplanade and Burgundy. The building that this clinic occupies was built in 1830 and is listed on the National Historic Register. Property has continuously functioned as a veterinary hospital since 1887. Our second satellite clinic opened in Chalmette in 2011. Tragically, this property, which also had served as a veterinary hospital for 40 years, was devastated by Hurricane Katrina, and remained vacant and in disrepair for many years. Pet Care Center purchased the property and restored it to its original purpose. It has been operating as a veterinary clinic ever since.
We are truly humbled by the support from the communities we serve. Thank you for allowing us to grow!